Studies in Education
Do you want to create an individualized course of study and deepen your understanding of how children learn? Studies in Education is for you!
Through the Studies in Education program, you can create an individualized course of study across a range of course offerings or focus one area of particular interest. You take courses from a few core areas, including human development, philosophy of education, curriculum development, and the social context, and then your remaining academic credits are taken in courses relevant to your particular interests. Up to six graduate credits can be transferred into the program from other institutions.
This program culminates in a Master of Science in Education (30 credits) for those who do not have a prior master’s degree or a Master of Education (30 credits) for those who hold a prior master’s degree.
This program does not lead to certification.
Supervised fieldwork/advisement lies at the heart of a Bank Street education. Through sustained experiences in the field, supervision from core faculty, and close collaboration with peers, our graduate students develop the ability to connect theory to practice and to reflect deeply on their own growth as educators. In this program, you will:
- Gain experience in a setting connected to your field of interest.
- Participate in a weekly collaborative conference group with your advisor and 5-7 other graduate students. You will have an opportunity to engage in ongoing in-depth conversations about teaching and learning.
- Gain from having your Bank Street advisor work with you in your site each month.
- Benefit from individual meetings with your advisor twice each month.
- Attend periodic meetings with your advisor.
Your degree will provide you with a range of career opportunities:
- Produce educational materials.
- Work for media groups such as Children’s Television Workshop.
- Design environments for children.
- Develop educational policy.
- Work in child advocacy programs.
- Work in education-related fields.
FacultyThere are no faculty to display.