If this is your first time seeking certification, you will need to meet breadth and depth distribution in the liberal arts and sciences, including depth of at least ten courses in one liberal arts and science major or area of concentration. If you are missing a course prerequisite, you will need to complete any undergraduate or graduate-level course in the subject(s) required within your first year at Bank Street. The Office of Graduate Admissions will send you information on which prerequisites you have yet to fulfill.
Our office takes a holistic approach to the application process. We look forward to reading about how your experiences have shaped who you are and why now might be the right time to start your graduate school education.
If you are interested in applying, we will be looking for a number of criteria, including:
- A GPA of 3.0 (B average) or higher in an undergraduate degree program from a regionally accredited college or university
- An aptitude for completing graduate-level coursework and academic projects of substantial scope and breadth, as well as a capacity for making positive contributions in your professional life
- Sensitivity to others, flexibility, self-awareness, and a willingness and capacity to engage in self-reflection
- Positive interpersonal skills in relationships with both children and adults
- A healthy motivation and commitment to learning, children, and young adults
If You're Seeking Your First Certification
If Your Program Requires Initial Certification for Admission
A few of our professional certification, special education, and literacy programs require that you already hold New York State initial certification. If you are finishing an undergraduate education program in New York State, we will be looking at your TEACH record at the time of admission to track your progress toward certification.
If you hold a certification from a state other than New York, you will need to apply for reciprocity and have your certification issued before starting your program.
If your certification is not yet issued by the time you apply, we may admit you into one of our dual certification programs in general and special education until you can procure your initial certification.