Cross-Age: Early Childhood and Childhood General Education
Are you interested in teaching children across a full range of grades? The Early Childhood and Childhood Dual Certification Program has been designed for you!
This 46-credit program prepares you to teach pre-school through 6th grade. Your coursework, fieldwork, and advisement process will help you build a sound foundation in child development, subject matter pedagogy, and the historical, philosophical, and cultural contexts of contemporary education. You will work as a student teacher with experienced mentor teachers in diverse school communities and classrooms throughout New York City where you will have opportunities to create and implement meaningful and engaging curricula for a broad age-range of children.
This program culminates in a Master of Science in Education and requires 46 credits.
Supervised fieldwork/advisement lies at the heart of a Bank Street education. Through sustained experiences in the field, supervision from core faculty, and close collaboration with peers, our graduate students develop the ability to connect theory to practice and to reflect deeply on their own growth as educators. In this program, you will:
- Complete one academic year of supervised fieldwork experiences (Fall & Spring semester).
- Have four placements across grades in public, independent and/or childcare settings in New York City.
- Be assigned a faculty advisor once you enter fieldwork.
- Have monthly advisor visits to your fieldwork placements.
- Have at least two meetings per month with your advisor (one at your placement and one at the College; more if needed).
- Participate in weekly Conference Group meetings with your advisor and a cohort of 5-7 graduate students.
The majority of students who have completed a full year of supervised fieldwork secure positions as assistant teachers during the last year of their graduate studies. Many of these positions are secured at schools that the program uses as student teaching sites. After graduation students secure head or assistant teaching positions in public, charter, independent, and childcare settings in NYC and beyond. Some students who demonstrate prior experience and interest in a particular content area (such as mathematics) may seek teaching positions in 6th grade classrooms in middle schools.
Upon graduation, you will be eligible for New York State certification in Early Childhood General Education, birth through grade 2, and Childhood General Education, grades 1 through 6, provided you complete all other State certification requirements.