Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I qualify for financial aid based on my income?

    Your individual financial status from the prior year is a key factor in determining your award. Incoming students who earn up to $80,000 a year (or significantly more for students with families) are likely to qualify for a need-based scholarship at Bank Street. Our scholarship program makes the cost of attending Bank Street Graduate School of Education competitive with most other private schools in the New York region.

  • How do I apply for financial aid at Bank Street?

    Steps to apply for financial aid:

  • When should I apply for financial aid?

    You can apply for financial aid at the same time you complete your admission application. Filling out the FAFSA as early as possible is an important step for financial aid. Federal student aid, including scholarships, can significantly reduce your financial obligation without adding to student debt.

  • I plan to attend Bank Street College as a full-time student. How can I finance my education and meet my living expenses?

    As a graduate student, you can borrow up to $20,500 per fiscal year (July 1–June 30) through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan Program. The loan funds you borrow can assist in meeting your educational costs as well as your living expenses depending on the number of credits enrolled per semester. You may also qualify for additional sources of aid including scholarships, work-study, or loans.

    Learn More About Loans

  • I have outstanding student loans from my undergraduate school. Can these loans be deferred while I am attending Bank Street College?

    Most student loans can be deferred if you are enrolled at least half time. Half-time enrollment is considered a minimum of 5 credits (or the equivalent) during the fall or spring semester or a minimum of 2 credit hours during the Summer 1 or Summer 2 term. You must check with your lender or loan servicer for more information regarding the deferment of your student loans. The Office of Financial Aid can assist with this process.

  • What types of payments are accepted for financial aid?

    We accept the following forms of payment:

    • Personal Check or money order
    • Credit Card (VISA or Mastercard)
    • Financial Aid
    • Valid Courtesy Course Waiver or Voucher
    • Payment Plan

    For a complete listing of payment options, visit the Bursar Page

We also encourage you to read our Graduate Admissions Blog post, “Let’s Talk About Financial Aid at Bank Street,” to uncover truths about the process that you may not already know as well as tips for applying.

Read the Blog Post