Bilingual Extension Certificate
Add the Bilingual Extension to your New York State certification!
This program is for current teachers who wish to work in dual language/transitional bilingual education classrooms, as well as with students receiving English as a New Language (ENL) services in general education classrooms. You will:
- Develop a rich teaching repertoire to understand the intellectual, linguistic, and emotional needs of students in dual language/transitional bilingual education settings.
- Construct developmentally responsive learning experiences that encourage all learners to follow their curiosities.
- Create accessible bilingual curricula so all learners can explore literacy, literature, mathematics, science, arts, and social studies content.
- Develop a strong social justice focus in order to advocate for and with children and families.
- Plan for dynamic and collaborative partnerships with families and school professionals.
- Engage in critical explorations of yourself, others, and the wider world.
This program culminates in a certificate and totals 15 credits (prior certification required).
Subject to Middle States approval.
In addition to the main admissions criteria, there are additional requirements needed to apply for this program:
- You must already hold a valid New York State certification in General Education at the Early Childhood or Childhood level.
- You will need to submit scores from the GRE (institution code 2035) or MAT (institution code 3197) before new student registration.
The Bilingual Extension does not require additional fieldwork.
Your degree will provide you with a range of career opportunities:
- Teach in dual language or transitional bilingual education classrooms.
- Teach in bilingual inclusive and self-contained special education classrooms.
- Provide English as a New Language services as the general education classroom teacher.
FacultyCarmen ColónSupervised Fieldwork Advisor & Course Instructorccolon@bankstreet.edu 212-875-4616Cristian R. SolorzaSupervised Fieldwork Advisor & Course InstructorEducational Consultantcsolorza@bankstreet.edu 212-875-4553Jessica WontropskiCo-Director, Childhood Programsjwontropski@bankstreet.edu 212-875-4474
Upon completion, you will be eligible for New York State certification in the Bilingual Extension, provided you complete all other State certification requirements.