Supervised Fieldwork Advisor & Course InstructorEducational Consultant212-875-4553
Bilingual Extension Certificate
Add the Bilingual Extension to your New York State certification!
This program is for current teachers who wish to work in dual language/transitional bilingual education classrooms, as well as with students receiving English as a New Language (ENL) services in general education classrooms. You will:
- Develop a rich teaching repertoire to understand the intellectual, linguistic, and emotional needs of students in dual language/transitional bilingual education settings.
- Construct developmentally responsive learning experiences that encourage all learners to follow their curiosities.
- Create accessible bilingual curricula so all learners can explore literacy, literature, mathematics, science, arts, and social studies content.
- Develop a strong social justice focus in order to advocate for and with children and families.
- Plan for dynamic and collaborative partnerships with families and school professionals.
- Engage in critical explorations of yourself, others, and the wider world.
This program culminates in a certificate and totals 15 credits (prior certification required).
Subject to Middle States approval.
In addition to the main admissions criteria, there are additional requirements needed to apply for this program:
- You must already hold a valid New York State certification in General Education at the Early Childhood or Childhood level.
The Bilingual Extension does not require additional fieldwork.
Your degree will provide you with a range of career opportunities:
- Teach in dual language or transitional bilingual education classrooms.
- Teach in bilingual inclusive and self-contained special education classrooms.
- Provide English as a New Language services as the general education classroom teacher.
FacultyCarmen ColónSupervised Fieldwork Advisor & Course Instructor212-875-4616Cristian R. SolorzaSupervised Fieldwork Advisor & Course InstructorEducational Consultantcsolorza@bankstreet.edu 212-875-4553
Upon completion, you will be eligible for New York State certification in the Bilingual Extension, provided you complete all other State certification requirements.