Museum Education: Childhood
Starting in Fall 2021, our Museum Education offerings will be grouped as one program under a new name to accommodate the growing needs of our students—Learning and Engagement in Museums and Cultural Organizations. This new curriculum re-envisions Bank Street’s successful museum education and leadership programs to provide you with the professional preparation and expertise that will enable you to strengthen the capacity of our institutions to support a vibrant, diverse learning community.
Museum Education students at the Noguchi Museum. Museum Education students routinely have opportunities to have exceptional/unique experiences in world renowned cultural institutions in support of their development in the Museum Education Program.
Taken concurrently with coursework, supervised fieldwork is designed to foster the integration of theory and practice. Fieldwork is taken in the fall and spring semesters of a single academic year in either the first or second year of the program. You will:
- Student teach in the fall term, three days a week, in two different school settings
- Spring Semester Internship
- Faculty support and supervision as you engage with children, and other adults in your fieldwork settings.
- Participate in a weekly seminar of 5-7 students
- Individual meetings with your advisor twice monthly.
New York State requires all graduate students in this program to have supervised fieldwork experiences in grades 1-3 and in grades 4-6, as well as in an under-resourced public or charter school/program. Note that this program is restricted to student teachers as all graduate students will need to spend the spring semester of their supervised fieldwork year in a museum setting.
Your degree will provide you with a range of career opportunities:
- Many graduates chose to work in museum settings or schools with an enriched approach to curriculum development embedded in their practice
- Work in curriculum, exhibition, and media design firms.
- Become a full-time teacher in public or independent schools
- Become a fully certified elementary or if applicable, secondary school teacher
Upon graduation, you will be eligible for New York State certification in Childhood General Education, grades 1 through 6, provided you complete all other State certification requirements.