School District Leader (On Campus or Online)
The School District Leadership program provides prospective district leaders with the opportunity to participate in a unique certification course sequence focusing on effective district management strategies.
Through close examination of a district and using case studies, you will obtain an in-depth understanding of: how districts are organized; the roles of the superintendent and the school board; different reform efforts; and how to meet the needs of special populations.
You will develop leadership skills to prepare you for various supervisory roles at the district level with an emphasis on strengthening teaching and learning for all students.
When you complete the non-degree course sequence, you will be eligible for New York State certification as a School District Leader. This program requires either 5 credits (for Bank Street students or graduates only) or 11 credit to complete. This program is offered either on campus or fully online.
Subject to Middle States approval.
In addition to the main admissions criteria, there are additional requirements needed to apply for this program:
- Applicants must have a master’s degree in education from an accredited institution of higher education.
- You will need to submit scores from the GRE (institution code 2035) or MAT (institution code 3197) before new student registration. Applicants who have already completed a graduate level teaching program and hold a valid New York State teaching certification are exempt from this requirement.
This program has an on campus and a fully online option. For both tracks you will engage in use of technology. Particularly for the fully online program, you will be asked to use a range of technological tools. You must have a dedicated computer or tablet and stable Internet access. You will be expected to become familiar with the online tools, reach out to ask for support as you navigate the technology, and strengthen your presence and skill set in the online environment.
For those in the 11-credit sequence, you will engage in a field placement negotiated among yourself, your district office, and your advisor. You will be supervised onsite by your internship mentor and your advisor. You will develop and implement a work plan on a particular issue relevant to the placement.
Completing this program will provide you with a range of career opportunities:
- Supervisory roles in school districts, e.g., superintendent, deputy/assistant superintendent, and other district positions including curriculum supervisor.
- Most districts, BOCES, central offices have positions that require SDL certification.
- Leadership roles in county, state, or national educational organizations. SDL certification may strengthen your candidacy for a variety of roles in organizations dedicated to supporting, studying, or otherwise improving educational systems.
FacultyAnthony C. ConelliChair, Leadership Departmentaconelli@bankstreet.edu 212-875-4710Abbe FuttermanDirector, Leadership Programs; Course Instructorafutterman@bankstreet.eduAlice GottliebCourse Instructoragottlieb@bankstreet.eduNancy MannSupervised Fieldwork Advisornmann@bankstreet.eduBrian MonahanCourse Instructorbmonahan@bankstreet.edu
Alum Kima Johnson knew that Bank Street was the right place for her to be. Hear more about her experience with coursework, supervision, and more.