Progressive Leadership Program
The Progressive Leadership program prepares experienced educators for leadership roles in the New York City public school system.
Each year, we welcome a cohort of aspiring leaders from New York City school systems into the Progressive Leadership program, formerly the Principals Institute, to study strategies for urban school reform. We have graduated more than 35 cohorts of educators since 1989.
As a student in the Progressive Leadership program, you will learn alongside a dedicated group of educators who share your passion for PreK through 12 urban education, building a strong professional network while pursuing challenging coursework and guided fieldwork. Upon graduation, you will qualify for a range of educational leadership roles, including education administrator, assistant principal and principal.
This program culminates in a Master of Education (for those with a prior master’s degree), requiring 31 credits, or a Master of Science in Education, requiring 34 credits.
Supervised fieldwork/advisement lies at the heart of a Bank Street education. Through sustained experiences in the field, supervision from core faculty, and close collaboration with peers, our graduate students develop the ability to connect theory to practice and to reflect deeply on their own growth as educators. In this program:
- You will be supervised by a Bank Street advisor who is an experienced New York City school leader.
- Supervised fieldwork extends over the full duration of the program and is generally located at the site where you currently work, with visits from your advisor and mentoring from your site supervisor.
- You will complete a summer placement at a different location and at a different school level to gain experience in a new context.
Completion of the Progressive Leadership program leads to:
- New York State School Building Leader (SBL) certification for those who meet experience requirements and pass the state assessments.
Graduates of the Progressive Leadership program are eligible to take our 5-credit School District Leader sequence and be eligible for:
- New York State School District Leader (SDL) certification for those who meet the experience and credit requirements, and who pass the state assessments.