Early Childhood General Education Advanced Standing
If you are currently a teacher in a UPK classroom, the Early Childhood Advanced Standing Program is for you!
Through this competency-based, cohort program, you will become well grounded in child development by closely observing children and engaging them in active learning in your current teaching position. As an experienced teacher, this program will help you build on your current understanding that learning comes in the form of play, social interaction, and sensory experiences, as well as through engagement in the world of literacy, literature, mathematics, science, arts, and social studies.
This program culminates in a Master of Science in Education and requires 30 credits.
Supervised fieldwork/advisement lies at the heart of a Bank Street education. Through sustained experiences in the field, supervision from core faculty, and close collaboration with peers, our graduate students develop the ability to connect theory to practice and to reflect deeply on their own growth as educators.
- Be supervised by a Bank Street faculty member who is an experienced teacher and advisor.
- You’ll complete one academic year of supervised fieldwork experiences, always starting fall.
- You’ll be supervised at the school where you will be or already are a full time teacher.
- You’ll keep the same job at your school for the entire fieldwork year.
- You’ll participate in a 5-7 member conference group, be observed working with children twice each semester (fall and spring), and have monthly individual meetings with your advisor.
- Your advisor will guide you through course work.
New York State requires all graduate students in this program to have field experiences in a birth-PreK and kindergarten setting, and in grades 1-2, as well as in an under-resourced public or charter school/program. Working teachers must enroll in an additional fieldwork placement, where they will be placed by Bank Street in the appropriate setting to fulfill their degree requirements.
FacultyNilda Bayron-ResnickSupervised Fieldwork Advisor & Course Instructornresnick@bankstreet.edu 212-875-4543Carmen ColónSupervised Fieldwork Advisor & Course Instructorccolon@bankstreet.edu 212-875-4616Abby KerlinCo-Director, Early Childhood Programsakerlin@bankstreet.eduWendy PollockCo-Director, Early Childhood Programswpollock@bankstreet.edu 212-875-4504Judith ScheuerSupervised Fieldwork Advisorjscheuer@bankstreet.edu 212-875-4547
Upon graduation, you will be eligible for New York State certification in Early Childhood General Education, birth through grade 2, provided you complete all other State certification requirements.